The aircraft symbolically displayed on all our club correspondence and advertising was a Second World War reconnaissance floatplane of the Fleet Air Arm designed to be catapulted from the deck of a warship. Only 64 were ever built. Built to specification S 11/32, the prototype appeared in 1936 and the first production versions were delivered to cruisers etc in 1938. The fuselage was of all-metal monocoque construction, the wings were covered with metal on the leading edge, otherwise fabric. It was powered by a sixteen cylinder 395 HP air-cooled Napier Rapier engine. It reached speeds of 106 mph, had a range of 440 miles. In 1939 it played a part in the attack on the German pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee by spotting for the naval gunners. This led to the ship’s destruction in the Battle of the River Plate. They were utilized through 1943.